Top 10 Food Items to Keep on Hand to Add Flavor and Nutrition to Boring MealsAuthor: Erin Rogers
Top 10 Food Items to Keep on Hand to Add Flavor and Nutrition to Boring Meals
Having a well-stocked pantry and refrigerator can be a busy cook's best weapon in the war against resorting to fast-food, high-fat, unhealthy meals. If you know what to keep on hand, you can easily whip up quick, nutritious meals that the whole family will love!
Here are 10 ideas for ingredients that will add taste, color and nutrition to your old standby's:
1. Roasted red peppers - can be used on casseroles, salads, pizzas, hummus, pasta, pesto
2. Balsamic vinegar - great for a fat-free salad dressing with a touch of olive oil, splash on steamed veggies, soups, add to pasta sauces
3. Fresh basil (freeze in ziploc bags to make it last) - sprinkle on salads, pizzas, pasta, pesto
4. Frozen onions and green peppers - use to jazz up spaghetti sauce, chili, fajitas, casseroles, omelets
5. Garbanzo beans - put on salads, puree to make creamy soups
6. Canned mushrooms and canned tomatoes - pasta sauces, pizza, casseroles
7. Teriyaki sauce - season stir fry's, use as marinade, splash on steamed veggies
8. Sun dried tomatoes - use on pizza, pasta sauces, sandwiches
9. Bottled minced garlic and gingerroot - quicker alternative than fresh, still packs in flavor
10. Chopped green chiles - Mexican casseroles, quiches, scrambled eggs, burritos
Your family might have other favorite ingredients. Just remember, if you keep a variety of tasty add-in's on hand, you'll be more likely to eat at home, which means you'll be more likely to eat a more nutritious meal.
About the Author
Erin Rogers, a work-at-home mom of two, is the founder of Health-E-Meals.com, providing practical healthy living resources for busy people. She's also the author of the Healthy Express Cookbook: 101 Fresh, Light & Quick Dinners (http://www.health-e-meals.com/ebook.html). Visit her website (http://www.health-e-meals.com/DOTD.html) to sign up for her FREE electronic newsletter, 'Dinners on the Double' - offering a quick and healthy, no-recipe dinner idea and more each week. Erin can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.